9 Easy Ways to Increase Revenue at Your Pet Business
Increasing your profits and average revenue per customer may be easier than you think.
Here are our top 9 ways to easily increase revenue at your pet business.
1. Offer Packages & Memberships
Offering your customers packages and memberships has a handful of benefits to your business. It allows you to sell more services than the amount typically sold and gets your customers into your facility more frequently, increasing their chances to buy more in-store. It increases your customer loyalty as well as increasing your revenue and the amount of services purchased.
Examples of Memberships you can offer:
- Annual VIP Membership……………………………….get 10% off all purchases
- Gold Membership………………………………………..get 5 nights of boarding (annually)
- Platinum Membership………………………………….get 10 nights of boarding (annually)
- Pet Resort Club Membership………………………….free 1-1 behavioral and veterinary assessment semi-annually
Examples of Packages you can offer:
- Dog Taxi (30 Day Round Trip)…………………………$540 (valid for 180 days)
- 60 Minute Training Sessions (4 Sessions)…………..$250 (valid for 90 days)
- Doggygarten 20 Day Pass……………………………….$550 (valid for 365 days)
- 10 Day Daycare Pass (Full-Day)……………………….$300 (valid for 180 days)
2. Establish a No-Show Policy
Customers are far less to cancel their appointments or simply not show up if they are aware of a no-show fee.
This fee doesn’t have to be a large sum by any means, but simply letting your customers know about your no-show policy is a soft reminder to show up to their appointment. You can kindly remind them of your no-show fee several ways:
- Appointment reminder email
- Text reminder
- Highlight in customer agreements/contracts
- Have a sign/banner in your facility advertising your no-show policy
- Include a no-show policy statement on your website and visible after someone books an appointment
- Include your policy in your business voicemail/on-hold recording
3. Offer Additional Services
- Overnight boarding
- Dog Daycare
- Pet Taxi
- Dog Training
- Pet Bar
- Pet Spa
- Vet Consultations
- Behavior Assessments
- Dog School
4. Create a Marketing Campaign
With the right software, you can create a marketing campaign in less than five minutes.
Marketing campaigns can be done through various channels but we recommend doing it either through email or messaging.
Creating campaigns helps alert your customers of your services, any upcoming deals/discounts, and directing them to your website. You can use them when promoting holiday specials and when you have limited capacity for holidays and need customers to book in advanced.
You can also create discounts and promotions like “This week only, if you bring your dog into daycare you’ll get your next daycare visit half off!”
It’s a great way to bring people into your facility and remind older customers of your services.
Pictured: RunLoyal’s 2-Way Messaging Feature
5. Offer VIP Services and Suites
- Standard Room
- Luxury Suite
- VIP Suite
Simply adding an elegant flare and making those rooms for those dogs more luxurious (nicer dog beds, treats, more spacious) you can easily charge $10-30 extra per night for one of those suites.
6. Offer Add-On’s to Your Current Services
Add-on’s are probably the easiest and most effective way to grow your average revenue per appointment. Because what customer doesn’t want to add on an additional belly rub during their pet’s stay? Or add on an extra walk or give them a special treat? We’ve heard from several pet business owners that this was the biggest source of additional revenue and the customers love it just as much!
Here are some add-on’s to show you what we’re talking about:
- Extra Playtime
- Send Pet Photo to Owner
- Peanut Butter Kong Treat
- Frozen Treat
- Extra Walk
- Belly Rubs
- Teeth Cleaning
- Send Pet Photo to Owner
- Extra Belly Rubs
- Extra Treats
- Nail Filing
- Ear Cleaning
- Anal Gland
- Teeth Brushing
- Oatmeal Bath
- Flea Bath
7. Offer Discounts
Need we say more? Discounts catch the eye of any customer, no matter how big or small. Of course, the greater the discount the greater the traffic, but even offering 15% off a service or offering a “buy 4 days of daycare, get one free” type of promotion will bring in more traffic to your business.
8. Display Impulse Items at Checkout
If your pet business offers retail, how is it displayed? If you don’t already have it near your checkout counter we suggest you do so. Put the “impulse” items at the front of the checkout where customers can easily see it displayed. Our favorite impulse items are anywhere from pet treats to bandanas and accessories. We suggest adding items that are $20 or less since those tend to be items that customers can easily throw in when checking out.
Also, don’t forget about your humans! Many pet businesses often forget that you can also offer items for them as well, like cold drinks and easy snacks for on-the-go.
9. Collect Customer Reviews
Customer reviews is a different, but effective approach to increasing your revenue. While it may not pay off immediately, customers are far more likely to use your services versus one of your competitors if you have a significant amount of high ratings.
You can easily create custom review forms and send them to customers after their visits and then post those reviews to your website and Facebook if your business operates on RunLoyal Pet Software.